Starting off as a platform for blogging, WordPress has gone on to become a complete solution for developing and maintaining websites. The WordPress architecture is based upon plugins and there are several nifty ones for ecommerce too. Here are some the top WordPress plugins for ecommerce sites.
WooCommerce is one of the most popular free ecommerce plugins for WordPress. This powerful plugin is packed with tons of useful features to help turn your WordPress site into a successful ecommerce store. It is estimated to be powering more than 37% of all ecommerce websites on the internet. It is used by leading brands like Prana Chai, Botanik and Subtype.
Here are the key features of WooCommerce:
- It supports credit cards and PayPal payments using PayPal. BACS and Cash on delivery are also supported
- All leading payment gateways are supported including Amazon payments, First Data and Authorize.Net
- Both free and flat rate shipping are supported
- Supports automatic tax calculations based on shipping, billing or store addresses, also supports configuration of tax settings and levels
2. Easy Digital Downloads
Easy Digital Downloads is an easy to setup, feature rich solution for selling digital downloads on a WordPress platform. Here are some of its key features:
- Provides full shopping cart functionality including Buy Now, Add to Cart, registered user checkout, guest checkout and pre purchase agreement to terms
- Comprehensive customer management functionality includes customer record management, customer account creation, payment history and tracking of lifetime customer activity
- Support for discount codes includes flat rates, percentage based discounts, date setting for discounted campaigns, comparison of value from cart against minimum value for discount and limit setting on discounts
- Powerful reporting capability includes earnings reporting by category and range, filtering by product, tax collections, data export to CSV, monitoring of sales, downloads and API request logs
- Additional support for download logs and access control
- Integrates with payment gateways, affiliate systems, mailing lists and external file storage as needed
3. WP eCommerce
WP eCommerce is one of the most popular ecommerce plugins in the market. Here are some of its key features. Whatever you are planning to sell, physical products, subscriptions, digital inventory or memberships, WP eCommerce can fully enable your efforts.
- The plugin can be customized with any number of CSS and HTML customizations
- WP eCommerce integrates with literally dozens of payment gateways including USA ePay, Stripe payments, Transfirst and Authorize.net
- Supports secure checkouts with SSL
- Provides a number of powerful tools to manage your orders and catalogues
- Provides several tools to support shipping and integration with couriers
- Supports your site with several additional modules such as Gold Cart, Members and subscriptions, Amazon S3 cloud integration and many more
The unique aspect of Ecwid is that you are able to take your existing site and easily integrate the Ecwid system into it. Ecwid supports over 1 million sellers across the world and is the number 1 ecommerce app on Facebook supporting over 40000 stores. Here are some of its notable features:
- Sell everywhere solution which allows you to sell on mobile phones, websites, marketplaces and social sites. It allows you to easily add a store to a Facebook page or a site like Tumblr
- Ecwid integrates with over 40 different payment solutions
- Supports promotional pricing, volume discounts, discount coupons, differential shipping rates and carriers
- Ecwid is a fully cloud based service so you do not have to bother about downtime or software installation and it supports site mirroring, including on Facebook
Jigoshop is a leading ecommerce solution which comes with functionality optimized for search engines and easy migration options. Here are the unique aspects of Jigoshop:
- The solution comes with powerful SEO features and advanced SEO tools
- It has a nimble dashboard which can help to setup and manage your shop in a matter of minutes
- Jigoshop supports powerful marketing tools for coupons, gifts, vouchers and shipping
- Jigoshop provides over 70 customizable themes to help you get your store live rapidly with a great interface
- The solution supports comprehensive store management and advanced reporting including sales graphs and stock reporting
- The plugin supports a number of extensions for various types of functionality including credit card payments, CSV export
MarketPress is a leading WordPress ecommerce solution that provides a complete solution for everything from digital products to physical goods. A couple of unique aspects with MarketPress are a quick setup wizard which can get your store going in minutes and several built in features. Here are some of its key features:
- MarketPress features adaptive design which means that it can operate with any ecommerce WordPress theme that has been coded to standards. Widgets and shortcodes allow you to display elements on the website anywhere.
- Supports a number of built in themes for easily building your store
- Provides support for 15 different payment gateways including PayPal, Stripe and Authorize.net
- Supports coupons and PDF invoicing via addons
- Provides support for all major currencies, tax and VAT calculations
- Provides complete integration with Google Analytics
7. iThemes Exchange
iThemes is a simple and extendable WordPress plugin for ecommerce. This product uses WordPress’s own user system for adding customer information. Here are some its unique features:
- Exchange supports Stripe, Authorize.net and PayPal as payment gateways
- The memberships add on permits you to create and manage any number of membership levels with specific rules associated. This addon also gives you the ability to organize content for any daily, weekly or monthly courses as needed.
- Exchange supports umbrella memberships for offering group membership requirements
- The software supports an addon in the form of Gravity Forms Checkout Pro to permit you to create a fully customized purchase form for any of your products
- The software supports invoice generation, bulk discounts, commissions and table rate shipping
- Tax functionality supported includes US sales taxes, Canadian GST and EU VAT
8. Cart66 Lite
Cart66 Lite is a WordPress shopping solution. Here are some of its key features:
- It has a billing engine that supports more than 50 payment gateways
- Supports membership functionality which allows you to require memberships to access specific pages or post categories
- Drop content functionality is supported which allows you to delay access to membership content for a particular number of days
- Supports timed emails functionality which permits you to send product specific emails at specific intervals
- Also supports order notification, HTML email receipts, the receipts can be customized based on content
- The software supports customer account history including order history and billing information
- The plugin supports order variations, coupons, promotions and taxes. Manual tax rates can be setup as needed.
- Price and weight based shipping is supported with real time quotes from FedEx, UPS and USPS. Also supports address verification and printing of address labels.
- Free services are supported including Amazon S3 for storage
- Supports multiple integrations including with Google Analytics, Facebook and iDev affiliate
Shopp is a professional, high performance ecommerce plugin for WordPress. It offers both an ecommerce development kit and a product showcase, along with secure cart functionality. Here are some of its notable features:
- Shopp supports PCI vulnerability scanning
- Offers integration with more than 50 payment gateways including PayPal, 2Checkout and an offline payment processor
- Shopp has been specifically architected for high performance meaning that your WordPress site will run really zippy
- Full support for promo codes and associated rules, shipping and tax estimates
- Provides support for product variations and associated prices
- Shopp comes built with Related products functionality which helps customers find other products in the catalog, which match the current product selection or the product most recently added to the shopping cart. This is a valuable feature given that related product functionality is normally available only in large scale ecommerce players websites.
EShop is a powerful shopping cart and ecommerce extension software. Here are some of its unique features.
- Supports a number of themes to help you build a fully functional site in a jiffy. Several attractive layouts are available for shopping cart pages, wish list pages, compare and product detail pages.
- EShop supports more than 45 different payment gateways including Authorize.net, Stripe and SecurePay
- More than 10 shipping methods are supported including Free, flat rate, US, USPS, Australia Post and Weight shipping
- Advanced sales reporting is available including total sales, viewed products and purchased products
- Full support for SEO including custom page titling and intelligent URLs
- Support for multiple tax rates, an email system, social sharing, related products and product wish lists
11. Table rate shipping for WooCommerce
Table rate shipping for WooCommerce is a premium shipping solution for WooCommerce. The plugin is compatible with WooCommerce 2.1 and above. It has these key capabilities:
- Creating unlimited number of shipping zones based on postal code, state or country. Unlimited number of country groups are supported.
- Setting unlimited number of base rates based on dimensions, weight, price and quantity. Complex rules can be set for creating shipping classes.
- Several shipping options are supported. Tiered shipping costs based on weight or cart subtotal are supported
- Volumetric shipping and handling fees are supported
- Premium features include shipping classes for all products, delivery options, advanced tax and VAT support.
12. Social coupon for WooCommerce
Social coupon is an extension for WooCommerce that gives you the ability to add a social coupon system to your website that gives instant discounts to users as a reward for sharing links to your product pages. It makes it easy to setup a rewards system for social media based promotion.
You can opt to display a Social coupon on your cart page, product pages or checkout pages. When an action is completed on social media, a coupon of your choice is immediately applied to your cart. These are some of its salient features:
- The coupon can be created in WooCommerce and its usage can be tracked there too
- Supports multi discounts which gives users discounts for each social action completed
- Allows you to set custom URLs for cart, checkout and product pages and customized expiration dates too
- Full HTTPS support means that all plugin assets are loaded securely
- Complete support for mobile layouts with auto shrinking of coupon pages
13. PayPal for digital goods
The PayPal for digital goods plugin provides you with a shortcode that can be used to generate a PayPal payment button. The button, in turn can be used to instantly pay for an item using the PayPal digital goods gateway.
The greatest advantage from this plugin is that the entire checkout process happens in a pop window, obviating any need for the customer to leave your site. This plugin is perfectly suited for selling digital downloads through PayPal. The key features of this plugin are:
- Perfect for selling eBooks, music, video files, images
- Allows a user to download the file once the purchase is completed through PayPal
- The transactions can be reviewed directly from the WordPress admin dashboard
14. All in One SEO pack
The All in One SEO pack is a plugin that automatically optimizes your site for search engines and is among the most downloaded WordPress plugin with close to 30 million downloads. These are some its most notable aspects:
- The plugin supports the submission of your sitemap to leading search engines in order to improve SEO. It also automatically notifies search engines whenever your site changes
- Provides support for Google Analytics and advanced URLs
- Automatically generates meta tags and optimizes titles for Google and Bing
- Provides many intricate options for advanced SEO users
15. Product countdown wireless plugin
This plugin is an easy way to insert a countdown into the product pages for your store and utilize it to highlight unique offers or deals. Countdowns are a great way to draw customer attention to a product which is unexpectedly lagging in sales. Of course, countdowns are anyways commonly used during big sales days and at the time of holiday sales.
This is a plugin created for WooCommerce. All you need is a few clicks to create a limited time offer countdown timer for any WooCommerce product on sale. The key parameters to be set are the sales date and the sales price.
16. Clicky Analytics
The Clicky Analytics plugin shows Clicky web analytics data on your WordPress site. This plugin uses a widget to display detailed user statistics including online users, count of visits, bounce rates and organic searches on your admin dashboard. Various types of tracking are supported including username tracking, email tracking, video action tracking for YouTube and video action tracking for HTML5.
17. Bootstrap CDN
Bootstrap CDN is one of the top caching plugins in the market. It can greatly aid in lowering the load on your servers, helps your website load faster and save on bandwidth. Nothing quite annoys a customer or prospect more than a slow website and Bootstrap CDN can help avoid prospects and users dropping out when entering your website. Most caching plugins work well but it is important to use a plugin that does not spoil the user experience. This is particularly true of websites that create and load lot of content dynamically, like ecommerce websites. These are the key features of the plugin:
- Dynamically rewrites URLs on the fly without any modifications to source code
- Enables automatic updates for all bootstrapped code
- Integrates with other caching plugins
- Integrates with FontAwesome
18. WooCommerce Currency converter
WooCommerce Currency Converter is the most feature packed currency converter software for WordPress. This plugin allows users to choose the currency they prefer. Alternatively, the plugin settings also allow you to choose from the available currencies. There are two conversion methods offered by the plugin:
- One in which the conversion is made only for user reference, with payment still happening in the base currency
- The other method facilitates complete conversion, which means that the actual payment is converted and made
The plugin is completely compatible with PayPal and all other payment gateways. Exchange rates can be set to either update every 24 hours automatically or manually. Each currency can be provided individual settings such as format and decimal resolution.
19. WooCommerce social login
The WooCommerce social plugin is an extension that gives users the ability to login and perform transactions with social media applications such as Facebook, Twitter and Google. It also provides the ability to set a custom URL for redirection after the user completes the login through the social media application. Several useful reports are available including number of signups per network and pie graph reports for social media registrations. The plugin also provides account linkage on the My Account and Order received pages for future checkouts.
The way the plugin is designed is that all social account registrations get tied into WordPress user accounts. This ensures that even if social media accounts are deactivated, the corresponding user accounts can be utilized.
20. WooCommerce Zapier
WooCommerce Zapier brings the power of Zapier to WooCommerce by enabling you send WooCommerce customer, order and subscription data to more than 500 web services. This plugin saves you a lot of effort and money by providing you one platform to integrate your store with many popular services including Google Drive, ZenDesk, Dropbox and MailChimp. These are some of the many excellent features offered by Zapier:
- Automate flows and triggers for handling orders, purchases or status changes of an order
- Supports all WooCommerce shipping methods, currencies and payment gateways
- Provides support for WordPress filters to enable other WP plugins customize or override WooCommerce data before being sent to Zapier